Tuesday, February 4, 2014

World Cancer Day - Tri for the Cure!

Today is World Cancer Day. Almost everyone has been affected by cancer in some way. Some of us have lost a loved one or friend. Some have personally fought this terrible disease themselves. Whatever your personal connection to cancer, know that you CAN make a difference in a number of different ways. From making a donation to one of the many reputable organizations out there to fundraising for the cancer charity of your choice to volunteering your time to do things for cancer patients - please find a way to get involved in the fight!

There are a few ways that I plan to help this cause in 2014:

1) I just announced today that I am volunteering as a triathlon coach for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Northern Ohio "Team in Training" chapter. I am super excited to work with these individuals and help them achieve their goal of completing the Greater Cleveland Triathlon. This race is literally in my backyard and I am friends with the race director so I am confident it will be an awesome experience!

2) I am completing my first 140.6 iron-distance triathlon at Rev3 Cedar Point in September and plan to race in honor of my cousin Danielle who lost her life to cancer in May of 2012. Danielle was a true fighter and an inspiration to everyone who came in contact with her. I will complete this race and raise money for cancer for her. As a member of Team Rev3 and a past member of Team Fight I will again raise money for Team Fight, the team that supports The Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults.

3) I will support and love anyone I know that is suffering with this disease as well as people I have yet to meet. Being compassionate is important. This can happen to any of us!

This is a battle that is personal. We must all get involved. Please do something this year to help with the fight - whether monetary, volunteering your time or even just increasing awareness of the disease. Every little thing really does make a difference!


No comments:

Post a Comment